Maison des Jésuites de Sillery
The occupation of the site where the Jesuits house stands begins long before the arrival of the missionaries, when nomads tribes lived for a season on the shores of the Saint-Lawrence for fishing and bartering.
The mission Saint-Joseph is the first establishment permanently founded in New-France by the Jesuits, who came that way, a short distance from Quebec, in front of the Native with the goal of evangelize them. They constructed a fort to protect their installations and practiced agriculture to prevent famine. They managed with great difficulty to settle some families, but epidemics and the Iroquoian menace threatens the mission periodically, which is abandonned at the end of the 17th century. The Jesuits continue to explout the farm and build a new house which they use as a country residence.
At the conclusion of the Seven Years war, the house is rented to the British during the summer. A writer residing there sets the action of her novel there, published in 1769. From the 19th century, the residence is inhabited by wood merchants or business managers. Installed in the Anses de Sillery. Traces of the Jesuits establishment disappear. Only the house still remains to attest their existence.
In 1929, the Historic Sites and Monuments commission transforms the house in a Museum. Despite its status and its new function, the building, one day under the threath of demolition, the other day neglected due to a lack of funds, face an uncertain future. Becoming property of the city of Sillery in 1986, the house is finally restored to make place for an interpretation and exhibition center.